Thursday, May 18, 2006

Week 4 Thursday -Resting Heart Rate

May 18, 2006
Activities/Actions:
  • Biked to lab
  • Ran for a mile
  • played squash with Ya-wen, P' Tee and P' Lek; some games I played with left hand.

Stat:

Resting Hearth Rate: 52 beats a min (at 26 beats per 30 seconds)
[see here for some details about heart rates]

Course condition:

How I felt:
(the 5-point scale)
  • Physically 4
  • Mentally 3
  • About my nutrition 4
  • About my sleep 3


How hard did I work? 7
(the 10-point scale)

Note and reflections:

This is the first day with resting heart rate mornitor. The resting heart rate is low, which is good. Am I fit? Hey, it is not a sign of bradycardia!

Though my lab work is slowly progressing, I feel alright but need to complain about it to someone. Nonetheless, today workout is a good one. Playing squash with left hand reminds me that I can train my untrained (not often used) body part to do work. Just like running, we can train our body and mind for it.


THE HEART OF A RUNNER
"A low resting heart rate is generally regarded as the hallmark of fitness. A well-trained heart pumps more blood with each stroke, accomplishing more work with less energy expenditure. It has more time to rest between beats, an unmitigated good. People who are very fit often have resting heart rtes in the low fifties, sometimes even the forties. Anything below sixty beats per minute is lodged in my mind, anyway, as a kind of virtue, something akin to high moral character. It means that you've done your work."
-----John Jerome
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--Note on measuring Resting Hearth Rate (HR)--

The Resting HR should be used as an index to improve your cardiovascular fitness level, with a focus on decreasing it. The best time to measure your Resting HR is when you first arise from sleep in the morning. The palpation (beats) of the Radial Pulse is accurately measured in your wrist in line with the base of your thumb. Place the tips of your index and middle fingers over the Radial Artery and apply a light pressure to it. DO NOT USE YOUR THUMB. It has a pulse of it's own. You may count the beats for one full minute to get the HR, or for 30 seconds and multiply by 2 for the number of BPM.
(an excerpt from an article by Lisa Moser)

No comments:

Post a Comment