Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bye bye 2008!

Welcome 2009 with "Heart Taiwan" in four different colors!

Activities/Actions:
  • Enjoyed party with Bernhard & the gang
  • Biked to see Taipei 101 Firework with Ya-Wen and her parents and biked back

Note and reflections:

Holiday fun seemed to start since the dinner on the 25th [วิ่งไม่หยุด: a clean bike and the first ride after the race], followed by Sauerbraten (German marinated beef) dinner hosted by Bernhard on the 26th (three days in preparation), topped by JJ dinner party on the 27th. Tonight, the fun began at TIGP party highlighted by Feuerzangenbowle (German winter punch). These fun events have been nice for my rest weeks after the Marathon (well, kind of a lame excuse because the resting period seems too long now). Thanks to P' Hard for an invitation to join the fun. However, I was at the party until 10 before biking out to join Ya-Wen and her parents for Taipei 101 Firework viewing in XinYi District.

The rain had stopped since 7p this evening, which made the biking to Taipei 101 possible. Biking was a good move as a mean of transportations around the area in that evening. The city estimated more than 2 million people gathering to watch the firework. Actually, the ride in the area was very good since the area was closed off to any vehicles, but I had to avoid crowd of pedestrians. I got a bit lost around the area nearby Taipei Medical University (around 15 mins) before arrived to Ya-Wen's parents' place. When I was on Keelung Rd. (actually, I did not realize the name of the road at that moment), I asked one lady and she said that "I can speak Japanese." I was surprised back then, so I left her. After that it may be that she thought that I was a Japanese. The second group I asked was confused about NTU Hospital, but when I showed them the map and the name of WuXin St., they recalled and directed me to a right direction. I was circled there for 15 mins (because I passed the point where I was supposed to turn at the first time but did not recognize the place, then).

The firework at the roof was great! Thanks to Ya-Wen and her parents for an invitation to join them for the fest.

I biked back home around 2AM after a nice New Year meal. The biking home at this time was fine. Not "that" many people were on the street anymore. During the ride, I was given "Xin Nen Kuai Le" wishes regularly from pedestrians and passengers on motorbikes. At a red-light stop near Yung-Chun MRT Station, I caught up with the motorbike saying "Xin Nian Kuai Le" to me earlier. I said "Xin Nian Kuai Le" and "You guys have a lot of fun, huh?" The passenger told the rider that "Oh.. Wei Gou Ren. Ting Bu Dong." (oh, a foreigner. I don't understand). I later spoke in Mandarin "Ni Men Yao Hen Dua 'FUN' ma?" hahaha.. They replied "Hao" just before the light changed to green.

After arrived home, I changed, took a shower and went to bed. I hope that I will get up tomorrow for the first run of the year!

Note: See the rest of the story on holiday celebration on An Adventure on Formosa.


Photos:

Firework on Taipei 101 viewed from the South on Ya-Wen's parents' roof.


Pei-Shan preparing Feuerzangenbowle (German winter punch) at TIGP party. Feuerzangenbowle recipe and preparation were executed by Bernhard.

4 comments:

  1. Wai guo ren, your pinyin is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh...

    thanks for the comments. I guess those guys were very confused that night.

    Well, P' Hard, "為狗人要很多飯!" !!?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, thank you P'Hard...that's a very accurate translate from Ay's pinyin...

    ReplyDelete